With around 10,000 Apps available in the App Store, Shopify merchants have an extremely wide choice of solutions to customize their stores and develop their businesses. And because Apps are critical to their operations, these merchants need to feel confident choosing, installing, and using Apps
For that reason, Shopify has just unveiled the new “Built for Shopify” program. A program that champions Apps built to Shopify’s highest standards for quality, design, and performance.
For Apps developers, there are many benefits of being in the “Built for Shopify” program:
- Search boosts: Apps can get in front of more merchants with preferential placement in Shopify App Store search rankings. This means those Apps will get more visibility and stand out from the competition.
- Easy-to-spot badge: the “Built for Shopify” badge can be displayed in various key surfaces, from the App’s listing page to search results. The badge is a simple indicator for merchants to quickly recognize Apps that are high quality.
- Promotion opportunities: Apps that are “Built for Shopify” are eligible for promotion in high-converting Shopify surfaces. This includes the Shopify App Store homepage and in the recommended apps section of the Shopify Admin.
By its very nature, Built for Shopify has a high threshold of quality. To make the path to achieving this status clearer for developers, Shopify has built a tailored checklist of criteria into four key categories:
- Manage App security: Apps should treat merchant and shop data with care, which means uninstalling cleanly and using specific APIs and extensions.
- Build for performance: Apps should be optimized for performance, with a fast Admin experience and little or no impact on store speed.
- Design for ease of use: Apps must be embedded in the Shopify Admin or POS, and have a consistent look, feel, and tone.
- Share App benefits: Apps must provide accurate and updated listing content.
To find out which Apps are part of the “Built for Shopify” program, the App Store has a dedicated category.
For more technical information on the program, go to Shopify online documentation.
To discuss the "Built for Shopify" program and its impact on Apps, feel free to contact us.